Athlete of the Season – Spencer Anderson

Anderson+leads+in+an+outdoor+track+meet+on+April+13th.+

Andre Chabra

Anderson leads in an outdoor track meet on April 13th.

Aaron Morton, Editor-in-Chief

Although only in his second year at MBS and on its winter track team, Spencer Anderson ‘24 has made his presence felt this season on the track. 

Anderson has already racked up multiple school records and medals in his first “normal” winter track season (last year’s season had restrictions due to the pandemic). Most notably, he has broken the 55-meter school record multiple times this season, bringing it down to 6.72 seconds. Anderson has also played a role in setting the school’s sprint medley relay record at 4 minutes and 8 seconds. In addition to these records, Anderson has had numerous medal-winning performances, two of which were first place runs in the 55-meter at the non-public B championship, and coming in third in the 55-meter at the Morris County Championship.

Outside of formal competitions, Spencer embodies a great teammate. According to teammate Sophie Tannen ‘22, Anderson is someone who “everyone wants on their team.” Despite Anderson’s success in the sport, Tannen said “He remains humble. Spencer does not carry arrogance in his demeanor.” According to Tannen, Anderson not only leads by example, but also works to push his teammates to be their best.  

Tristen Miscia ‘23, another one of Anderson’s teammates, recalls moments where Anderson pushed Miscia, asking, “do you want to race?” during practice so the two could push one another and both become their best selves. Anderson says he enjoys the 55m, 200m, and 300m dashes the best. He also enjoys the training involved with the sport, and it is not uncommon to see him in the weight room after practice. 

It is clear that Anderson has made a big impact on the MBS winter track team and is someone to keep an eye on throughout the rest of his high school track career.