Walks in the Arbo – Mr. Latino

Gabrielle Wolin, Perspectives Editor

Mr. Sean Latino joined MBS this school year as one of two Upper School Guidance Counselors. Mr. Latino has maintained a variety of leadership roles in the Morris and Somerset County School District while also having worked as full-time school psychologist at Pequannock Township School District. In addition, Mr. Latino currently teaches at Montclair State University (MSU) as an adjunct professor in Educational and Motivation Psychology. Mr. Latino graduated from MSU in 2016 with a Masters of Arts in Clinical Psychology, Certification in School Psychology, and a Concentration in Child/Adolescent Psychology. He also gained his bachelors in History and Psychology at the University of Delaware. In addition to his role as Upper School Guidance Counselor, Latino also serves as a pivotal member of the Wellness Department faculty, offering an elective on “The Science of Happiness” to Upper School students.  

What inspires your work? What is your motivation in the morning?

I am inspired by inspiring students to be well-rounded, empathetic, curious, and successful young people.  I love guiding a student to cultivate their interests and find their own path through life.  Being able to support students on this journey and helping the students see just how amazing they really are motivates me.

What made MBS appeal to you? What ultimately made you choose to come here for this specific department?

The legacy of the school, for one.  It’s great to join a school community wherein there is a long legacy of excellence and a spirit of teamwork and togetherness running through that legacy.  The second reason I chose to work at MBS is more department specific.  As a school psychologist and school counselor, I care very much about holistic learning- that is, education centered around the whole student, taking into account student interest, mental health, peer relationships, and intellectually stimulating academics.  At MBS, I found all these components regarding holistic, whole child education amid a legacy of excellence, and so, I thought it was a perfect fit.

What do you think is the most important lesson for students nowadays?

Self-awareness, that is, cultivating an understanding of who they are in the present and who they want to be in the future.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time outside of work?

My favorite thing to do in my free time outside of work would have to be hiking and camping.  When it’s too cold to do that, read, play guitar, and exercise.

If you could give students one piece of advice what would it be and why?

My one piece of advice for students is pretty simple. I believe that if you do what you love and what you are good at, work hard and stay committed along the way, then most things in life will fall into place from there.